Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Artist Statement...Go Satan! I mean...Jesus?

So...  What I really truly want to do as an artist attending this institution to further my development in the arts is to reference art historical paintings, etchings, and various other forms of art that show Angels, Demons, Ghosts, Jesus, Satan, Heaven, Hell and other forms of evil and good in old art.  So my artist statement is as follows:

The Modern World is going to Hell and so am I.

So, I am going to bring to light the work of the olden times.  Now, I am not a religious man, in fact, I renounced my Catholic faith after I became a man in the eyes of the Church i.e. Confirmation.  Ever since I was young I've had a obsession with such ethereal creatures and motifs, such as Angels, Demons, Heaven, Hell, Satan, and Jesus to name a few.  In my mind these are fantasies created by man to personify good and evil in real life.  My aim in this art is to depict some of the images as how they were painted many years ago, while in others I make a role reversal and show the "Evil" as the victor.  I will depict the path of the righteous, the path of the damned, purgatory, heaven, hell, battles with the Devil, Lucifer/Satan/Beelzebub, Jesus/God, Death, and the metaphor of Man is a Bubble.  With this work, I will show the contrast of heaven and hell and relate it to our modern world, to show how we, asa culture, relate to damnation and salvation.

This is what I want to do, and I was unsure of it at first, but I realized that this is why I've come here.  So, this is what I want to do.  Regardless of price, time, and pissing those religious people off.  (I like to do that anyways).

No comments: