Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Questions and Answers

Am I just going to reference Christianity?

No, I do plan on referencing a majority of Christianity, just because I was raised Catholic so I am more familiar with its forms of good and evil like the Devil, Jesus, God, and Fallen Angels, but i do plan on referencing other religions as well.  Other Religions depict a Satan or a rebel against God.  In Greek Mythology, Hades was the Ruler of the Underworld and similarly in Roman Mythology, Pluto was the Ruler of the Underworld.  I would also like to reference Ifrit (Islamic), Beelzebub (Christian), Chernobog (Slavic), and Mammon (Christian).  I want to reference more as well, possibly Norse Gods and more Polytheistic religions too.  But, since I was raised as a Catholic, I feel that I will be able to talk about and depict these evil and good forces much better than I could of other religions I am less familiar with.

How will I depict Satan and God?

Well, I don't think that will be too hard.  Since I want to put some of these paintings in a more recent Light, I feel that I could personify these figures with props such as a halo for the religious and righteous icons, while I make the Devil more like a human in some pictures and possibly like a goat in others.  I am always reminded of a Twilight Zone's episode that depicts Mephistopheles, an old man with a crooked cigar in his mouth trying to wrong the rights of man and tempting them into unforeseen acts of blasphemy.  I do want to use some sort of goat like props as well to reference "Baphomet", which became associated  with a "Sabbatic Goat" image drawn by Eliphas Levi.  As for Jesus and God, I would like to depict them as more human than they are, I want them to be flawed just like the rest of us.  I mean we are supposedly created in the image of God.

No comments: